Sunday 4 November 2012

Gibraltar range national park 25km trail run

Photos from the 25km trail run in the Gibraltar range national park in New South Wales, 
21 October 2012.
The Washpool and Gibraltar Range National Parks in NSW are part of the World Heritage Site Gondwana Rainforests of Australia.
Access to these parks is from Glen Innes (75km) or Grafton (90km). 
The start line is right on Mulligan's hut (named after Bill Mulligan, an enterprising mining engineer whose plans to harness the mountain creek waters for hydro-electric power was quashed by government).

The ultra runners doing the 50km event got to see both the Washpool and Gibraltar national parks.

The short course trail runs (9km and 25km events) took in a little of everything the parks had to offer.
including flats, streams, rainforests and ferny undergrowth.



granitic rocky outcrops and hills interspersed with vegetation,
incomparable rugged landscapes, steep gorges and valleys, 

coachwood trees and giant red cedars, 
ancient rainforests. 

RD Greg handing out awards to the top finishers. Well done all!

Maps of the 25km event.

On the way out from the range after the run, the rainforests were shrouded in thick suffocating smoke from bushfires on either side of the race venue. We were assured that there was no danger to the runners.
I went on a detour to Byron Bay on the way home. No, I did not stop at the pub. 

On the highway, I saw two eyes staring at me, so I stopped for a break.
I stopped at a castle where two princesses tempted me with some macadamia pancakes.
What a dream that was.

Just below the Gibraltar range in Jackadgery, there's a camping site next to the Mann river.
It had great views to the river and overlooked the Gwydir highway bridge.

I camped there the night before the race. All I needed was a basic tent and sleeping bag.

Two beautiful birds kept me company in the late afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave a comment.